Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A letter from Willowbank

Today I found a reply to our letter about Mohua the Kiwi in my email inbox. I have published it here. They also sent us this photo of her. 

Dear Room 17,
When Mohua arrived she had already been named. I have asked a few people at Willowbank why she had been given that name but unfortunately no one knows.
Her bill got broken when she was being transported from one area to another.
At the time the Department of Conservation was trying to begin a new
population of Great Spotted Kiwis in another region  and unfortunately
she poked her beak out of the box just as they were closing the lid and the
tip of her bill got damaged. 
 She is doing really well now and her bill has hardened and she is able to
probe into the soil at the Reserve to get her own food as well as the food
we provide.
I have attached a photo of Mohua, as you can see she is a really big bird!
Regards
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment